Although steel buildings are designed to be very resistant, there are a few maintenance operations required periodically, regardless the function of the building. If you are not familiar with them, do not worry: they are really simple and quick.
Winter comes with frigid weather and preventing problems before they happen will cost you less than paying for bigger repairs later. So, before the weather outside turns bad, perform these easy tasks to enjoy a problem-free winter.
- Prune back vegetation that has grown too close to your metal building. Remove tree branches or bushes grown close to its surface, to prevent snow accumulation and consequent damage.
- Clean the roof of your building by removing debris such as twigs, leaves and dirt that may invite corrosion and additional damage. Don’t forget about the gutters and downspouts.
- Wash the exterior of the building. All you need is some mild detergent, a soft-bristled brush and a low-pressure power washer.
- Examine the seals for scratches or corrosion. Inspect flashing as well as windows and door seals, to ensure everything is tightly sealed. If you notice some problems, reinforced seals with waterproof sealant.
- Metal buildings rarely have waterproofing problems however you should check ventilation to avoid condensation problems. If ventilation is not adequate consider adding vents, but do this after consulting with a specialist.